1. The Franchise Council of Australia has warned governments that excessive red tape is inappropriate in today’s fragile retail environment .
2. Victorian newsagents have launched a ‘love your newsagent’ campaign with billboard, radio and newspaper advertising, instore promotional material, a consumer competition and an online customer survey.
3. Satch Clothing goes into administration.
4. ARA calls Saturday and Sunday retail wages unsustainable.
5. Consumer prices fell slightly in August, largely due to the fall in the price of fruit and vegetables, a measure of inflation shows.
6. US retailers embrace mobile commerce. Nordstrom, Urban Outfitters and Macy's among the retailers allowing mobile checkout instore.
7. Oxfam Australia threatens leading denim retail group with the consumer watchdog due to the health impact of sandblasting denim jeans in manufacturing countries.
8. Research finds shoppers turn to Australian retailers online before internationals.
9. Harvey Norman chairman says offshore websites have had no impact on the chain's sales.