Latest Retail News – 19/1/2020
1. Aldi extends paid leave for fire fighters.
2. University Co-op’s 63 Curious Planet stores to close.
3. Study says shorter working days more practical than long weekends. (see below)
4. Amazon looks at push into pharmaceutical retail.
5. Woolworths takes largest share of fresh meat market, followed by Coles, butchers, and Aldi.
6. Jeans West enters voluntary administration with future of 146 stores uncertain.
7. Myer cuts another 35 executive roles.
8. Electronics retailer, Bose, to close its 19 Australian stores.
9. Government to spend $76m to bring tourists to Australia after bushfires.
10. Buy now, pay later creeps into fresh food retailing. (see below)
Articles Worth Reading:
Shorter Working Days Better Than Long Weekends - https://www.insideretail.com.au/news/a-life-of-long-weekends-is-alluring-but-the-shorter-working-day-may-be-more-practical-202001
Why Every Company Needs A Chief Fun Officer - http://theconversation.com/why-every-company-needs-a-chief-fun-officer-128330
Jeans West Collapses - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-15/jeanswest-in-financial-strife-988-jobs-at-risk/11870864
Employers Obligations With Smokey Air - https://theconversation.com/what-employers-need-to-know-the-legal-risk-of-asking-staff-to-work-in-smokey-air-129432
Bushfire Recovery Package For Australian Tourism - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-19/federal-government-announces-bushfire-recovery-tourism-package/11880114
Buy Now, Pay Later Shifts Into Food And That Is A Worry - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-18/buy-now-pay-later-food-purchases-worry-consumer-advocates/11873572