Latest Retail News - 18/5/2013
1. Discount Superstores (Crazy Clark's) to close Tullarmarine distribution centre plus some suburban stores.
2. National Retailers Association says little in budget for shopkeepers.
3. Major retailers (Marks & Spencer, Zara, Benetton, Calvin Klein) sign agreement to improve conditions and safety in Bangladesh factories.
4. China's industrial production up 9.3% in April.
5. Fashion designer and retailer, Lisa Ho, calls in administrators.
6. J.C.Penney launches ad campaign apologising for changes made by previous CEO.
7. Westpac records 10% increase in cash profit to 31st March.
8. Wesfarmers issues profit warning for Target department stores.
9. Spain announces first monthly trade surplus since 1971.
10. Australian dollar declines as confidence in US economy improves.
11. Customs charges for imports over $10,000 to rise by 50%.
12. Reject Shop picks up 6 Chickenfeed shops in Queensland.
13. Westfield report rents on new leases dropped 4.9% in first quarter.
14. Supermarkets voluntary code of conduct yet to be embraced by Aldi, Metcash, or Costco.
15. Australian fitness wear chain, Lorna Jane, targets UK with its first regional online store.
16. Guardian Pharmacy wins sector award for best customer service.
17. Woolworths launches first airport grocery collection service to help arriving travellers.