Latest Retail News – 18/8/2013
1. Coles lifts Wesfarmers profits to $2.29b.
2. Walmart cuts profit outlook in US with same store revenue down 0.3%.
3. US retail sales up slightly in July despite drop in car sales.
4. Eurozone edges out of recession as industrial output rallies sharply in June.
5. Australian consumer confidence rose sharply in August as another rate cut takes hold.
6. Adelaide’s Brickworks Market to close after 30 years.
7. Dick Smith signs deal to operate David Jones in-store electronics business.
8. Local activewear chain, Lorna Jane, expected to be placed on market in 2014.
9. JB HiFi reports better than expected profit with 11% rise on last year.
10. Sydney’s Queen Victoria Building Shopping Centre wins Australian Catalogue of the Year Award for its “Era of Glamour” catalogue.
11. Britains biggest retailer, Tesco, in Chinese joint venture talks.
12. Walmart eyes off Hong Kong supermarket chain Park’n’Shop as opportunity to expand business in China.
13. Benefit Cosmetics to open another brow bar at Sydney’s International Airport as part of global expansion into travel retail market.
14. Coles to move from individual brands and suppliers doing in-store merchandising to rationalising under one marketing services company.
15. Woolworths terminates cash out transactions at its BWS stores following rise in robberies.
16. JB HiFi’s, JB Home concept, plans expansion following success of its first 8 stores.
17. Officeworks appointed as official supplier to Queensland Government.
18. Roy Morgan Research reports business confidence up in July while NAB says confidence remains low except in retail and wholesale.
19. British supermarket chain, Sainsbury’s, eyes opportunities in Phillipines.
20. Domino’s Pizza to take 75% stake in Domino’s Pizza Japan.
21. Oroton inks new deal with Brooks Bros.
22. Alannah Hill leaves her iconic clothing label after 18 years.
23. US retailer, Nordstrum, lowers outlook following softer than expected sales.
24. China’s online sales continue to skyrocket and could overtake US as largest online market.