Latest Retail News (Including Black Friday Report)– 1/12/2013
1. The Athlete’s Foot Australia, has acquired the local arm of footwear wholesaler and manufacturer, Saucony, and sporting goods chain, Podium Sports.
2. 40% of David Jones shareholders express anger at Board performance with “No” vote on remuneration.
3. “Diabolical” NSW Retail Leases Act to be reviewed.
4. Jetset Travelworld changes its name to HelloWorld.
5. Jamie Oliver to open fourth restaurant in Australia.
6. Japanese convenience store Circle K to open 500 stores in Malaysia.
7. Perth to extend Sunday retail trading hours in lead up to Christmas.
8. Japanese lifestyle brand, Muji, opens first Australian store at Chadstone.
9. Chanel has opened its first Espace Parfum concept, outside its own boutiques, at David Jones.
10. McDonalds trialling build-your-own burgers using in-store iPads.
11. Woolworths defends slow start for Masters chain.
12. Harvey Norman says federal election failed to stimulate retail so relying on Christmas.
13. World’s largest Sunglasses Hut store opens in George St. Sydney.
14. Apple opens its fourth store in Beijing.
15. Colliers report retail rents falling and landlord’s incentives rising as retail downturn bites.
16. State Treasurers agree GST threshold on overseas purchases needs to be reduced.
17. Permanent food market planned for new city precinct in Perth.
18. Online marketplace, Etsy, opens first pop-up store in Sydney.
19. Specialty Fashion Group’s purchase of Rivers described as bargain.
20. Perth bans smoking in city malls.
21. Hugo Boss reports weak sales in China.
Special Early Report On Black Friday Sales
1. Black Friday online sales up 20%.
2. Online sales via mobiles at 7.2% of all online sales while tablets took 14.4%.
3. Average spend by tablet users US$132.75.
4. Top 3 items on Target’s Black Friday sales list are all iPads.
5. Average sale from Pinterest referrals double Facebook referrals.