A large number of issues were discussed and will be further examined over coming months with plans and documentation to come. In the meantime the city has released a summary of the latest proposal which will go to City Council next Tuesday for ratification.
Here is the release on the CoM website this afternoon -
The City of Melbourne has revealed an innovative package to provide dedicated business and financial support for traders at Queen Victoria Market when market renewal works begin later this year.
Acting Lord Mayor Arron Wood said Council will consider a commitment of at least $8 million to establish a support program and fund to help traders operate, develop and innovate their businesses throughout the five-year renewal program.
We will also propose to establish a team of business partners who will be available for traders who would like assistance during the renewal program. This support includes one-on-one business mentoring with traders on business development opportunities and customer retention.
“Queen Victoria Market is home to some 700 small businesses who are at the heart of the market and an integral part of its future,” Acting Lord Mayor Arron Wood said.
“The recently-released independent business case showed us that doing nothing is not an option and without intervention, businesses will continue to decline.”
“That is why we are working with traders and market management every step of the way to ensure their businesses can thrive into the future.
At its meeting next Tuesday, Council will consider a revised design for a reduced footprint for the below ground operational area under A to D sheds after listening to trader and customer feedback.
The operational area under Sheds A to D will deliver 26,000m2 of floor area, including:
Mezzanine: dedicated trader amenities including showers, toilets, break out spaces, lockers and change room facilities;
Level 1: capacity for large vehicles including delivery trucks and garbage vehicles with a loading dock and separate area for forklifts;
Level 2: dedicated trader loading and unloading with parking for trader vehicles, storage, cool rooms, food preparation areas, recycling and waste management facilities;
Level 3: 220 customer car parking spaces with lift access taking customers direct to heart of the upper fresh food market, which traders had asked Council to consider. An additional 500 customer car parks to be located at the Munro site.
“Our proposed plan is for a smaller but deeper footprint for the below ground facilities at the western end of A to D Shed,” the Acting Lord Mayor said.
“This will allow the Queen Street end of the heritage sheds to remain in place for ongoing trading and reduced disruption. These and all the remaining sheds will be restored on site.
“The amended below ground design means the new market pavilion can be reduced to 120 metres, less than half the original proposed size.”
The Acting Lord Mayor said the new approach delivers the back-of-house facilities traders have requested while limiting shed removal and minimising disruption to market trade during renewal. The new market pavilion will ensure the market can continue to trade throughout renewal works by providing a temporary home for traders in Queen Street. Construction is expected to get underway in October 2017.
The Acting Lord Mayor said that the City of Melbourne recognises that with change comes uncertainty.
The trader support fund can be accessed by traders who meet certain eligibility criteria and can demonstrate that their businesses have been impacted by renewal.
“Council previously pledged that any business that can demonstrate its income has been impacted by renewal works would receive financial assistance,” the Acting Lord Mayor said. “However, we are confident that access to this fund will be modest as we strive to limit disruption and work closely with traders to understand their business needs.
“At its core, Queen Vic will remain a fresh produce, open air market and will retain its unique atmosphere, heritage and affordability.
“Our $250 million renewal program, the largest project in Council’s history, will secure the future of these small businesses for future generations and ensure Melbourne’s much-loved market can attract new traders and customers.”