Latest Retail News – 25/10/2013
1. Myer adds warehouse facilities to boost its online capacity.
2. Woolworths withdraws from bidding on Hong Kong’s Park’n’Shop supermarket chain.
3. Western Australia economy outperforms other states with retail spending a key factor.
4. Australia Post’s profit up 10.9% for 2012/13 despite loss on regular mail.
5. CEO of David Jones resigns.
6. Retail legend Muji (Japans answer to Ikea) will open first Australian store at Chadstone Shopping Centre next month.
7. McDonald’s third quarter global profit rises by5%.
8. Commonwealth Bank says spending fell for first time in 13 months in September.
9. Wotif reports soft accommodation market despite rise in confidence post election.
10. Prada opens Tokyo megastore.
11. David Jones expected to look overseas for replacement for CEO Paul Zahra following shock resignation.
12. Ibisworld says hardware retailing expected to grow by 2.2% in 2013/14 with rise in housing construction and renovation.
13. Amazon opens distribution centre in Czech Republic as European sales increase.
14. Wesfarmers report Bunnings sales up 10% for September quarter while Target down 6.1%.
15. Super Retail Group plans 25 new stores in 2014.
16. Nike overtakes Billabong as favourite clothing retailer for Australia’s youth.
17. Online clothing giant, Asos, reports 40% increase in sales for 2013.
18. Sydney’s Greenwood Plaza Shopping centre launches rooftop garden for customer leisure.
19. CPI rises solid 1.2% in September.