Latest Retail News – 12/10/2012
2. Australian stocks hit 14 month high.
3. Mobile Internet downloads surge as 52% of mobile users switch to smartphones.
4. Facebook launches new ecommerce function allowing customers to set up digital catalogues.
5. Battery World wins Excellence In Franchising awards.
6. Unemployment rises from 5.1% to 5.4% in September.
7. IbisWorld predicts bleak outlook for tobacconists and confectionary retailers.
8. Australian online retailer, Surfstitch, opens 8,000 sq.m. distribution centre in France.
9. ACCC accuses Flight Centre of trying to force price control with major airlines.
10. Sydney’s Queen Victoria Building has taken out Gold in 2012 Asia Pacific Shopping Centre Awards.
11. Lingerie retailer, Victoria’s Secret, opens 4th Australian store at Melbourne Airport.
12. Westpac reports consumer sentiment on the rise but still in negative territory.
13. Billabong takeover candidate withdraws offer.
14. Priceline opens first e-commerce website with 10,000 products on offer.
15. Retailer, Mothercare, to be rescued as Myer inject funds and take over management.
16. Australia Post to spend $2 billion to upgrade parcel network and offer free digital mail boxes.
17. Crazy Clark's, Go-Lo, Sam's Warehouse group tells suppliers to stop deliveries.
18. Emirates Airlines fined $10 million for price fixing.
19. Online advertising accounts for 3.7% of US GDP in 2011.
20. China overtakes UK as 2nd biggest tourist supplier for Australia.