1. Woolworths increases share of supermarket trade at expense of independents.
2. Harvey Norman’s dairy company investment takes a bad turn into receivership.
3. H&M’s Cos to open new store in Brisbane.
4. Woolworths steps up its investment in fresh produce.
5. Myer, Country Road and Super Retail join new Radio Frequency Bar Code ID push.
6. UK based JD Sports to spend over $500m in 900 store US rollout.
7. John Lewis gets its staff to take acting classes.
8. Coca Cola ventures into make-up with Korean cosmetic company.
9. Nick Scali chief sells half his stake to Chinese.
10. David Jones launches its new food concept at Malvern Central Shopping Centre.
11. H&M warns of price (and profit) cuts as it clears unsold clothing.
12. Retailers continue the trend of down-sizing physical stores.
13. Spotlight buys Mountain Designs brand.
14. ASIC had a role in Myer’s write-down.
15. Quicksilver buys Billabong.
Acting Classes – UK department store John Lewis is asking staff to take acting classes as part of their upgrading of customers service. Apparently the communication skills taught in acting have an important role in retail as well as theatre.